A Message from the Chair
The Honorable Christopher K. Peace, Virginia House of Delegates
It is my pleasure as Chair of the General Assembly’s Commission on Youth to welcome you to our website. The Commission on Youth is tasked with providing a forum for review and study of youth policies and services. Whether you are a member or staff of the General Assembly, a government official, service provider, educator, parent or caregiver, or interested member of the public, you will find this website a wonderful resource on the Commission’s work on a host of issues, from child welfare to juvenile justice, or from mental health to education.
Children matter to policymakers in Virginia. Almost 2 million young people age 0-18 live in our state. This number represents almost 25% of our state’s population. Correspondingly, a significant percentage of our state budget goes directly to services for these youth and their families. Given the size of this population and the breadth of special needs associated with young people and their families, Virginia is fortunate to have the Commission on Youth to provide guidance and leadership on youth policy issues. I encourage you to familiarize yourself with our work and to let us know whenever we can be of assistance to your child, family or community.
Public Comment for Draft 2015 Study Findings and Recommendations
The Virginia Commission on Youth will be accepting public comment on the 2015 Draft Findings and Recommendations for:
Public comment must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 20, 2015
Public comments received by the deadline will be provided to the Commission for consideration at the October 20 Commission meeting at 10:00 a.m. in House Room C of the General Assembly Building.
Comments may be submitted by email at email@example.com.
Comments may also be submitted by hand-delivery or mail to the Commission on Youth, General Assembly Building, Suite 269, Richmond, VA 23219. Finally, comments may be faxed to 804-371-0574.
In the News
- 10/20/2015 Lawmakers Discuss Ways to Tackle Student Athlete Concussion
Virginia Commission Sees Progress with Student Athlete Concussions
State Reviews Child Mental Health Practices
- 05/05/2015Commission Meeting Focuses on Sex Trafficking and Foster Children
- 02/15/2015 Stories of trauma prompt crackdown on seclusion rooms
- 02/10/2015 Virginia Passes Bill to Rein in Restraints of School Kids
- 02/02/2015 How Public School Administrators Endanger Special-Needs Kids
- 01/31/2015 Child Care Must Grow Safer
- 01/29/2015 Commission on Youth Announces Passage of Legislation
- 01/08/2015 Bill Might Halt Handcuffs on Kids
- 12/17/2014 A Good Move for Families Op-Ed
- 12/10/2014 Children Are Our Greatest Treasure Op-Ed
- 12/10/2014 Governor McAuliffe Announces $17.5 Million Federal Preschool Expansion Grant
- 11/20/2014 Virginia Department of Social Services' video on Virginia Adopts
- 09/08/2014 Commission on Youth's Adoption of 2014 Study Recommendations
- 08/15/2014 Commission on Youth Reviews Controversial School Disciplinary Practice
- 07/18/2014 Schools Deal with Behavior Problems
- 06/22/2014 Focus on Young Children